It’s no secret that ants have become pests in many of our homes, backyards and gardens, and while we admire their work ethic, the burrowed leaves in our gardens have become a little too overbearing for our comfort. These ants have got to go.
Not only do they disrupt our plants, but they also head inside the home to search for sweet and savoury foods to take back to their colonies, resulting in ant trails all over. Some ants such as the fire ant are even dangerous, and their venomous sting can be severe enough to send you on a trip to the hospital if you have an allergic reaction.
So without further ado, here are the top 10 products to get rid of these ants, once and for all.
10 effective products for ant treatment
- Terro Outdoor Liquid Ant Baits (6 pack) – This product has been proven to work and has landed itself as one of the best sellers for killing ants on the market. It’s formula is made up of a sweetened liquid borax concoction that operates to kill ants over a period of 2 – 3 days. This 2 – 3 day time frame gives the worker ants time to take back their “spoils” to the colony to feed the other ants, therefore causing the colony to die from the inside out.
- Terro T600 Ant Killer Dust (1 lb) – This product is being touted as the best and most effective ant powder on the market, for both indoor and outdoor use. Simply sprinkle this powder in areas where ants frequently visit, as well as entryways and pathways in the home. It can also be used in gardens, on window sills and doors and patios and garages, and because it’s completely waterproof, a little goes a long way.
- Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer (12 oz) – This product is said to be the best product on the market for destroying the ants you can and can’t see. It was devised specifically to destroy the mound of the ants and kill the queen, resulting in a complete eradication of ants from your home. With it’s money back guarantee, it’s no wonder this product is so popular to many. Simply sprinkle one tablespoon of the powder over the mound and it’s sure to work.
- Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer (2.5 lb) – This product not only successfully gets rid of ants, but is also effective in ridding your home of other insects such as spiders and centipedes as well. Because of its size, it can be used to treat homes as big as 2000 square feet, and is a long term fix for an ant infestation. It has been claimed to get rid of all species of ants and other pests, just by sprinkling a little in areas where these pests go frequently.
- Combat Max Ant Killing Gel (27g) – The most noteworthy component of this product that increases its popularity and efficacy is its syringe applicator. This syringe applicator allows you to have a further reach when applying this pesticide to ant nests and mounds. The product itself works similarly to others, as its formula allows ants to take parts of it back to their colony, therefore killing the population from the inside out. Another added benefit of this product is that it is completely child resistant.
- Safer Brand Diatomaceous Earth (4 lb) – The most natural and organic remedy on this list, Diatomaceous Earth or DE for short is a highly effective method of eradicating ants from your home. DE is made naturally from fossilized diatoms in large bodies of water. Because it is a non-toxic remedy, it is safe to be used in homes where there are small children and pets, and will be just as effective as something more harmful. Simply sprinkle DE in and around areas where the ants frequently visit to get them out of your home.
- Raid Aerosol Spray Ant & Roach Killer (12 oz) – This convenient and easy to use spray is a highly effective temporary fix for ants in the home. This spray not only protects against ants but also against other pests such as roaches and rodents. An added benefit of this spray is its lemony scent, and its quick drying abilities. For a quick, easy and convenient way of getting rid of ants, spray a little around the home.
- Scotts Snap Pac Fire Ant Killer (9.2 lb) – This product is known most popularly for its one application method, as well as its ability to kill fly-in ant queens and foraging fire ants. Not only do you need just one application, but that application is effective enough to last you 4 months before you need another, and because of its size and price range, this product has also been said to be the most economically friendly method.
- Advance Granular Carpenter Ant Bait (8 oz) – Though this product is branded to specifically get rid of carpenter ants, it is also highly effective in getting rid of other species of ants as well. It is easy to use, just sprinkle a little of the powder in areas and pathways that ants frequently visit, both indoor and outdoor. Because it is environmentally friendly, it can also be sprinkled around trees and plants.
- Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait (1 tube) – This product contains a chemical called fipronil that slowly kills ants but be careful, this product is also toxic to children (and possibly pets). The ants ingest the bait, and brings it back to the colony, which in turn kills all the members of the colony who ingest it. Not only does it kill carpenter ants, but other species of ants and even other pests such as roachees. To use, simply squirt drops of the gel in ant mounds or in openings in the home.
There is nothing more frustrating than coming home to find an ant trail on your kitchen counter, or more dangerous than a fire ant bite (especially if you have young children or pets). These 10 products are highly effective for getting rid of ants, and with both natural and chemical remedies, there is something present that is safe for everyone to use.