Fleas and ticks can cause a great deal of harm to your pet. Many dog lovers I know take care of their pet by providing it with exercise, good food and love but the one thing they often forget is grooming. Dog ticks treatment and dog tick treatment home remedy can turn out to be extremely expensive in the long run. If not taken care of in a timely manner, the tick infestation can grow out of control and lead to huge medical bills. So pet owners who believe they are saving money by grooming their pet at home, could actually end up paying a lot more on vet services. The fact is: many a pet owner chooses to groom their pet cat or dog at home thinking they are doing their pets a favor. However, there are many services that professional groomers provide which a dog/cat owner may not be able to perform himself. So let us study why professional dog grooming can be very beneficial to your pet.
How to get rid of ticks on dogs
The best thing to do is to use tick prevention. Many products are readily available and they can save you tons of hassles and headaches that tick infestation can bring with it. Professional grooming is a good way to get rid of ticks. However, many groomers charge extra bucks for tick removal, above and beyond their grooming charges. So what can you do to get rid of ticks at home?
1. Use a tick shampoo for dogs
The best way to get rid of dog ticks is to bathe the pet using tick shampoo for dogs. Many good products are available in the market and you can buy them online, in drugstores or at the vet’s. A thorough shampooing should do the trick. Here are the instructions:
- Wet the pet’s coat
- Apply the tick shampoo for dogs. Lather up well.
- Wait for 10 minutes for the shampoo to eliminate eggs, larvae and adult ticks.
- Wash off using warm water.
- Repeat if needed.
2. Groom pets regularly at home
Long haired dogs and cats need daily, at least weekly, grooming. It is a good idea to get your pet used to grooming from an early age. So, if you have just bought a puppy, make sure you also invest in hair brushes, combs and other grooming products like grooming gloves etc and get him/her used to it from puppy-hood itself. Use these once a day or once a week, depending on your pet’s coat. Dogs having double coats and cats with long hair require regular grooming in order to prevent ticks and fleas. Grooming can also eliminate fleas. Here are the steps”
- Start grooming your pets from a young age. This will get them habituated to the ritual and also help you bond with your pup.
- Use a fine comb or Furminator® like brush to remove loose hair and also trap flea eggs, larvae etc and ticks.
- Start from the neck and brush all the way down. Repeat on the sides and also on the tummy area.
- Use an appropriate brush to comb the pet’s head region.
- Dip the brush in soapy water to eliminate flea eggs trapped in the teeth.
- Repeat daily or weekly.
If your pet is shedding heavily, brushing will also remove hair from your furniture and clothing. Sometimes, your pet might not allow you to groom-try using praise or rewards in such a case. If this does not do the trick, you may have to find professional groomers near you.
3. Use tweezers
Household tweezers are the best way to get rid of ticks on dogs. If the tick is firmly embedded in the dog’s skin, here are the steps to remove it:
- Gently part the hair first.
- Using the tweezers, firmly grasp the tick with the tweezers and make sure to not squeeze the tick. Squeezing will cause the tick to burst and this spray infected blood on you or your pet.
- Once the tick is in the tweezers, pull it out vertically upwards.
- Immediately bag the tick to show your vet. Your vet will be able to identify the tick and rule out possibility of Lyme disease or other infections.
- Apply an antiseptic medicine or spray on the bitten area.
- Monitor your pet for signs of tick fever such as lethargy, lack of appetite, joint aches, flu-like symptoms etc.
4. Use Petsmart® Tick removal products
Does Petsmart® remove ticks? Petsmart® has a wide range of tick removal products and they are highly rated by real pet owners. The brand is known for its flea combs, finishing combs and tick and flea prevention products as well.
Professional pet grooming services
Many pet owners wonder if professional pet groomers remove ticks. The fact is no groomer is going to allow you to bring in your pet that is full of ticks. Many groomers believe that bringing your tick infested cat or dog in to a pet grooming salon is like bring your head full of lice in a hair salon. So if you wish to have your pet groomed for the summer, you will need to at least take basic steps to eliminate the ticks first. Bathe your pet with a tick approved shampoo. Apply tick spot control or use a tick collar or give oral tick medication prior to taking your pet to the groomer’s. Once your pet is tick free, your groomer will be in a better position to perform the grooming services.
Note: Pet grooming services vary a lot from city to city and individual to individual. So it is a good idea to talk to the groomer first. Call her/him up and mention your problem. You can also ask for referrals to dog tick removal service near you. If your groomer removes ticks, you may have to pay extra for the service. Expect to pay at least $25 to $50 above the basic grooming fees, depending on the extent of infestation.
Questions to ask you groomer
Since grooming services vary a lot, the following set of questions can help:
- Do you groom large, medium, small dogs? Cats?
- Will you muzzle my pet?
- How many hours can I expect to leave my pet at your facility?
- Does grooming include tick removal service?
- Do I need to bring proof of vaccinations?
- What is the cost of grooming?
- Will the service include nail trimming/nail grinding, ear cleaning, anal gland cleaning?
- My dog is thickly matted. Will you charge extra for it?
- Should I feed my dog before grooming?
Seek help of a vet
Your vet can also remove embedded ticks from your pet. Call him up for advice on dog ticks treatment and seek remedies for tick prevention. Dog treatment home remedy may not always work and sometimes, timely professional help can save you hundreds of dollars and hassles in the long run. To find dog tick removal service near you, click here.