There are many over the counter and prescription medicines for repelling fleas and ticks in dogs and cats. As far as prescription medicines are concerned, Bravecto has garnered a bit of attention in the past few years. Today I will be talking about Bravecto reviews for cats and dogs and different options available to pet owners from this brand of tick medicine.
Prescription oral medicines for flea and tick control
Currently there are very few prescription strength medicines for tick and flea control. These include:
What makes Bravecto different?
Bravecto is one of the few tick medicines for dogs and cats that offer 12 week protection with a single dose. The active ingredient in this medicine is Fluralaner and it is manufactured by Merck-a pharmaceutical giant. Bravecto guards your pets against ticks and fleas and could also work on other parasites like mange, scabies mites and lice. The advantage of using Bravecto is that, unlike other OTC or prescription tick and flea medicines, Bravecto’s effectiveness lasts for nearly 3 months. This is a much longer protection than that offered by other medicines in its category. Other tick and flea products are designed to only work for 4 to 6 weeks. Therefore, pet owners can rest assured that their pets are safe from harmful parasites for a much longer period.
Advantages of using Bravecto
- Bravecto offers nearly 12 weeks of protection from ticks and fleas. It is available in different convenient forms to suit different needs of cats and dog owners and is a must have medicine if you live in a heavily tick infested area
- The medicine offers a cost-effective option for tick and flea control. You pay once for a dose and not worry about another dose for 3 months. There is lesser chances of forgetting to treat your pets.
- Vets recommend this medicine. Their patients have seen very good results with it. Many vets use it for treating their own pets as well.
- Pet owners who have used Bravecto for cats or dogs say that they will now stick to this method of flea/tick control for life.
- Bravecto works very fast- ticks and fleas drop off within hours of administering the medicine and the effectiveness lasts for 12 weeks.
- This is a FDA approved medicine, so you need not worry too much about risks or side effects. I have talked about the rare bravecto side effects later in this guide.
- Bravecto is easy and convenient for people having multiple pets. They can be assured of long lasting protection which means lesser worry.
This medicine comes in different forms for different needs:
Bravecto chews for dogs
Bravecto chews contain FDA approved Fluralaner as active ingredient. It is indicated for adult fleas and also for preventing tick and flea infestation. As far as ticks are concerned, Bravecto dog chews work on lone star tick, black legged tick, American dog tick and brown dog tick. Note that Bravecto chews are only suitable for puppies 6 months and above and dogs weighing 4.4 lbs or greater. Dosage: Give one chew of 112.5 mg to dogs weighing up to 10 lbs. For dogs weighing more than 20 lbs, administer one flavored chew of 500 mg. Re-administer the chews after 12 weeks. You will see dead fleas and ticks within 2 hours of administering the chews. Bravecto chews are safe to administer to pregnant and lactating bitches.
Bravecto topical solution for dogs
This product also contains Fluralaner as active ingredient. It comes in a small tube and you need to apply the medicine inside in between the pet’s shoulder blades starting at the neck and in 3-4 spots along the spine up to its tail.( You need to part the dog’s hair and ensure that the medicine comes in contact with the skin.) Many people have reported seeing results (in the form of dead fleas and ticks) in under 2 hours after administration. You can continue to use this treatment year long repeating every 12 weeks.
Bravecto topical solution for cats
This is administered in the same way. Apply it to the base of the skull only in one spot. Make sure you use only Bravecto topical solution for cats and not the one meant for dogs. Ensure that the medicine does not drip or run off. Your cat will be protected against ticks and fleas for nearly 12 weeks.
Bravecto skin side effects
There have been reports of a few Bravecto side effects. The main ones include vomiting, diarrhea and severe itchy skin.Hair loss is another one of Bravecto side effects. However, vets still recommend this as tick and flea control method since it has usually been safe for pets above 4.4 lbs.
How long do bravecto side effects last?
According to some forums, bravecto side effects could last for a few weeks. To counter skin issues, one can do the following:
- Bathe the pet with warm water.
- Check their bedding and collar to ensure that that is not what is causing the problem.
- Feed the pet a healthy diet with omega 3 essential fatty acids. This will help hydrate the coat and keep it itch-free.
- Speak to a natural/holistic vet about Bravecto detox if your pet continues to suffer.
Has Bravecto killed dogs?
Pennsylvania vet Elizabeth Carney has seen some dogs ‘crash’ after taking Bravecto. However, many vets have treated thousands of dogs successfully with it and continue to believe that this is a safe medicine. Some even use it for their own pets.
Here are some steps to detoxify your pet if it is suffering from Bravecto side effects like itchy skin:
- Switch your pet to a natural raw diet. In the beginning, your pet might suffer a bit from diarrhea, vomiting etc. But soon, his coat will improve. Feed your pet chlorine free water. Eliminate all GMO, soy and corn from its diet. Feed them local, fresh and organic lean meat, mercury free fatty fish and ample dense plant based foods.
- Wet your pet’s coat with diluted, organic apple cider vinegar. This will minimize itching and hair loss and give it a healthier, shinier coat.
- Allow your pet to fast occasionally.
- Feed them homeopathic supplements for detox. A holistic vet can guide you.
- Take them for walks.
- Lower your own stress levels and play with your pet.
- Vacuum the home and wash all pet bedding regularly. Use hot water for laundering the linen. Talk to your vet about other tick control products in case your dog has suffered from Bravecto side effects.
Bravecto reviews are mixed and different people have had different experiences. Speak to your vet whether this tick medicine is right for your pet.