Tick removal is an essential part of preventing tick borne diseases, especially Lyme disease. There are many tick removal tools available online and offline. You can always use plain old tick removal tweezers, but if you are living in tick infested areas and/or are pet owners then a tick removal tool is indeed a worthwhile investment. In this guide, I have reviewed some of the best tick removal tool available on Amazon. I hope this guide helps you select the right one, so you can keep yourself and your family safe from ticks this tick season.
Difference between tick removal tweezers and tick removal tools
Ticks are vectors of serious diseases which can cause debilitating and, sometimes, even life-threatening diseases in humans. Therefore, it is imperative to remove the tick as soon as you see it on your pet or your body.
Why you need a tick remover tool
Despite all precautions, you are likely to encounter a tick feeding on pet or human skin. Experts believe that ticks need to be embedded in the host’s body for at least 24 hours before they can transmit disease causing pathogens in them. Thus, the sooner you catch a tick and remove it, the safer you will be. Unfortunately, many people waste time in using folk remedies to grasp the tick and remove it. These often include dangerous methods like burning the tick with matchsticks which do more harm than good.
Safe tick removal
The most widely recommended and safest method of tick removal is to grasp it as close as possible at its mouth near the host’s skin and pull it out vertically upwards. This ensures that you get the entire tick out and that its mouthparts do not get left behind in the victim’s skin. You can always extrude the remaining mouthparts from the skin later, however; this greatly increases the chances of getting infected with the tick’s saliva or blood. Therefore, a good pair of tick removal tweezers or tick removal tools is a must. If you are planning to go camping or hiking, then it is even more essential to keep one of these devices in your first aid kit.
Benefits of using a tick removal tool
If you live in a tick infested area or have pet dog/s or cat/s, then you must buy the right tick removal tool. I will shortly review the best products available on Amazon. Here are the advantages of having one in your medicine cabinet:
- They are inexpensive and surefire methods of removing ticks
- You can grasp the tick conveniently and ensure pulling it out entirely
- These tools come with instructions so that there is no guesswork of what you need to do when encountering an embedded tick in pets or humans
- Quick tick removal can greatly decrease your risk of infections caused by ticks
- You can save a great deal of time and trouble using tick remover tool, not to mention the money you’d save on medication for tick-borne diseases.
Tick remover reviews
This pair of tweezers is especially designed to remove ticks in various stages or levels of engorgement. The tool comes with magnifier so you can easily see the parasites embedded in furry pets. TickEase tool comes with a short shaft and ample place for finger placement that allows you to grip the tick firmly and carefully tweeze it out without crushing its body. This ensures that you and your pet are safe from tick borne illnesses. The tool also allows a steady upward pull that causes the tick to release in seconds. You can also hear a ‘pop’ sound that assures you the tick is removed.
- TickEase tool comes with a broad and fine end to remove small and large ticks
- It comes with a pictorial instruction.
- Suitable for removing tiny seed ticks as well.
- Could be a bit too sharp for pet/children’s sensitive skin
2. Tick Twister
This is a number one bestseller tool for tick removal.
- Amazon’s choice of best tick removal tool
- Tick Twister contains two tweezers-for small and large ticks
- Both varieties are efficient in tick removal-they remove ticks without squeezing them.
- Fast removal to ensure reduced risk of tick borne illnesses
- You can safely remove ticks from pet’s eyes as well!
- Unclear instructions
- Could be inconvenient for use in long haired pets as it twists the hair out
- Too small for some varieties of ticks
This nickel plated steel tool is proudly made in the USA and comes with a no-nonsense lifetime warranty.
- ProTick is Remedy is a University and Government tested tool
- Costs less than $10
- Safe and easiest tool to use for tick removal
- Comes with a detailed pamphlet for tick information
- The tick ID card helps in identification of the parasite
- You also get a 5x magnifier to see smaller ticks
- May not always be able to remove all ticks in thick coated animals
I hope this brief guide on tick remover reviews helps you decide on the right tool to invest in.